Friday 28 May 2010

Chocolate Chickpea Spread

When I saw this recipe on the blogsite I stumbled across, I thought, "Ew! That doesn't sound appealing". But then I saw what the woman had written and I was intrigued:

"How different is this from tofu cheesecake? Or lentil cookies? Seriously, just give the combination of cocoa and chickpeas a chance. This versatile legume can be dressed up as sweet as candy if you give it the benefit of the doubt! Plus, with their oft praised protein and fiber, it’s perfectly reasonable to spread some chocolate on toast for breakfast, and call it a balanced meal."

So I decided to give it a go, and I was pleasantly surprised!

Chocolate Chickpea Spread

Ingredients:

1 x 440g Can Chickpeas
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 – 4 Tablespoons Water

Method:

1. Throw everything except the water into your food processor or blender, and thoroughly puree, scraping down the sides of the bowl to get everything incorporated as needed.

2. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the water, until you reach your desired consistency.

3. Spread at will!

Source: http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/beans-theyre-whats-for-dessert/

Rating: 4

Makes: about 2 cups

No comments: